Sunday 21 April 2013

Mixed Salad Lettuce


I was able to source out several damaged 5-gallon plastic water bottles from a water refilling station and recycled these by cutting a portion from the top and here they are now, hanging pots. The bottom part which is much bigger were planted with tomatoes while the tops were used for planting loose leaf lettuce.  The two-inches diameter iron pipe that holds the "hanging pots" came from the old water line that had since been replaced with black pressurized PVC pipes.  So all I bought here are the nylon strings to hang these pots. Using a soldering iron, I poked holes on the sides of the hanging pots to which I attached the nylon strings. I used a fine wire mesh that I found in the shed and cut these up into 4-inch squares to cover the bottoms of these hanging pots before I put in the soil so the potting mix will not go out when I water the plants. So after hanging the pots and planting the leaf lettuce and watering them , I covered this whole thing with a 1/2-inch diameter netting to protect the plants from the birds. We have plenty of these sparrows just hanging out in our garden and they would eat most things if I don't cover the plants with a net. The raised bed with a green netting underneath the hanging pots are planted with Lollo Rosso lettuce and Cos Lettuce.



No comments:

Post a Comment