Monday 22 August 2011

Spring Onions in a Plot

I use a lot of spring onions in my cooking specially when I am making comfort food or even if the recipe does not call for it, I still use it because we like it. The spring onion sometimes takes the place of the onion bulb in my cooking. If I happen to ran out of onion bulbs, I substitute it with spring onions and it still tastes good. We all like to eat comfort food especially when it is raining. This is the rainy season here now so I cook a lot of hot soups and I add spring onions in my recipes. I also use spring onions when I am making arroz caldo which is one of our favorite comfort food. I like the idea of picking up the fresh spring onions straight from the garden whenever I needed some of it in my cooking.  

My DH is usually the one who does the gardening in our backyard but since he is busy right now, so I took over the garden and planted some spring onions in the smallest plot. My sister bought me a kilo of spring onions in the market as my planting material. We first cut off the upper green leaves and used that for cooking. What was left was only 2 inches of the white stalks from the roots. This is what I used as planting material. I planted them just last week and now we could see some green leaves coming out of the white stems. I used to have some spring onions planted in one corner of the garden but I used them all up which is why I wanted to plant some more so I don't run out of it.

The plot of spring onions and on the right side is the outdoor aviary.


This is the smallest plot in the backyard garden planted with spring onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment