Wednesday 24 August 2011

Planting Cucumbers and Pachoy



I planted some more cucumbers along the fence in our small garden. You can see the cucumbers starting to bear flowers as shown in the picture above. We have a 1 x 1 inch wire mesh as fencing material around our garden to keep any unwanted visitors from damaging the plants, well mostly the chickens anyway. We have an escape artist chicken and so we have to fence off the garden or he would have a field day overhauling the garden all by himself. We also use the wire mesh fence as a trellis where the cucumbers will climb onto as they grow. You can see one fat cucumber along the fence in the picture below. Since the cucumbers are trained to grow in a vertical position, this makes the ground free for me to plant some other kind of vegetables so I can maximize my planting space.



The plot where I planted the cucumbers is about 3 feet wide at its narrow end and 4 feet at its widest. Being a short woman at only 5' 2"tall, this makes it hard for me to reach for the cucumbers without stepping on the plot itself. So what I did is to divide this plot into two sections. I made a 1-foot-wide raised bed for the cucumbers which is near the fence, then I made a path where I could step on if I wanted to get some cucumbers. I dug the dirt on the path and used this to raise the 1-foot-wide bed for the cucumbers.


After I made the path, I made a raised bed out of the rest of the plot which turned out to be narrow but that's okay with me. It's actually less than 2-feet wide but that's enough for me. I sowed some Chingkang or Pachoy at one end of this bed, this is a leafy green vegetable that can be harvested in two months time. If the rains will not wash away the seedlings, then I will have some green leafy vegetables to transplant soon in this new raised bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment