Saturday 26 May 2012

Crop Rotation

My best friend Mary whose family comes from a long line of farmers has informed me about not planting the same kind of plant in the same location year- in and year- out so as to prevent plant diseases from building up in the soil. After I built the new additional raised bed near the outdoor aviary, I also moved the Sweet Pea trellis in this new bed. This is good practice for crop rotation in the garden. So just as I had done in the past, I placed the Sweet pea trellis nearest to the walkway where it will not cast a shade to the plants in front of it. Then I sowed some Sweet Pea seeds on both sides of this trellis. The Celery seedlings meanwhile are ready to be transplanted so I planted them next to the Sweet Peas. Since this new raised bed has never been planted before and it was rich with rabbit wastes and compost as fertilizer for the plants, all the things that were planted in this raised bed grew well and robust.  I planted the Celery seedlings close enough to each other so I did not have to blanch them as they grew. Their own leaves will serve as a shade for their stalks so they do not get the direct sunlight and this will prevent the bitter taste that most celery have when their stalks are not blanched. 

The 5-feet wide walkway is behind this Sweet Pea Trellis








Blue tanks in the background are the cooking gas tanks




Celery, Sweet Peas and Sun Flowers all growing together in one raised bed.









No comments:

Post a Comment