Saturday 24 September 2011

Making a Swale/Berm

I was looking forward to working in the garden when I woke up this morning but it started raining again. Then our new friends who just got married a few days ago called us up and asked if we could meet them in town because they wanted to give us something and treat us for lunch. So we went out of the house and spent the morning with their company and that was very enjoyable.
It was still raining when we got back home so I ended up reading the Sunday newspaper of which I haven't had time to read since we bought the papers yesterday.

Around 3 in the afternoon, the rain stopped and I went out to the backyard garden. Instead of working on enclosing the other side of the raised bed in the middle of the garden, I worked on making a swale or berm for the rain water runoff. According to the news, we are going to get hit with another storm and the direction seems to be focused towards Northern and Central Luzon. The storm is expected to make a landfall here by tomorrow afternoon. So I decided to prioritize making the swale/berm for the water runoff before I get a flooded backyard garden. I just followed the natural slope of the land where the water usually goes down. I dug up this trench some more to make this deeper so it can accommodate more rain water runoff. Then I got some small stones from the 2-feet high retaining wall that I took off earlier and used this to line up the bottom of the swale/berm. This should reduce the flow of excess water runoff when it rains so it will not carry away the top soil from the garden. I already added some compost and rabbit manure into the raised bed at the bottom of the garden so this should help to control any water runoff from the rain. I'm thinking of putting a cover on this newly made raised bed at the bottom of the garden because I just dug it up yesterday so it is exposed to the rain. I am afraid that it might get washed out with this storm. I don't have any mulch available to cover this exposed soil but perhaps I'll find something tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment