Saturday 28 January 2012

Green Beans Trellis


I went through all the hardware and construction shops in town looking for a cattle panel or a hog panel that I could use for a trellis. Not one of the shops here in city carries this kind of panel. All they had are the 2-inch-hole welded concrete wire. I would have bought two of these to make a trellis but the cost was expensive at 1,500.00 pesos per piece so that would have cost me a total of 3K to make one trellis. One piece of this welded wire is only 4 feet wide and 8 feet long but what I did not like about it is the small holes, just 2 inches square. I could not find any cattle or hog panel so I asked my brother if he could make me one since we already have a welding machine. My DH bought a welding machine last year and this is what my brother and my carpenter used when they made the rabbitry. I asked my brother to make the hole dimensions to be 6 inches wide by 8 inches high. This size of the hole dimension will allow us to reach out for the plants during harvest time. So we bought 5 pieces of gauge # 10 wires and it only costs us 70.00 pesos per piece so that all came to 350.00 pesos all in all.




This summer, I was able to grow 2 crops of green beans in this wire trellis. The first batch of green beans were planted behind the outdoor aviary using the home-made welded wire trellis that my brother made for me. What I like about this trellis is that I could plant on both sides of it and I get to have more produce. This arched trellis is 4-feet wide and 6 feet high on its apex. Since I am short at only 5'2" tall, I could easily walk under the arch whenever I gather the green beans and it's easy to pick them as they would just be hanging over my head. Vertical gardening is really a good way to go in maximizing a small space.I placed both ends of the wire trellis in the center of a 2-feet wide raised bed which is in the corner of the garden where it doesn't make a shadow on the other plants. This corner gets the full afternoon sun from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. I made this raised bed only 2 feet wide because it is near the fence and this allows me to reach out at the back of the trellis to get the beans without stepping into the raised bed.













No comments:

Post a Comment