Friday 8 July 2011

Gardening with Herbs

Parsley


Sweet basil


Rosemary

 
Purple basil and Oregano in the pot at the bottom of the red salvia flowers.


My husband and I sometimes go to the City Orchidarium, this is a plant nursery here in Baguio City, just to look at the flowers and the many different plants that are on display. We both love having flowers around the house and we would sometimes buy them in bulk together with some pots for to be used for re-planting them. Then we would display all the flowers in strategic locations around the house so we could admire them. That particular day that we went to the Orchidarium, I wanted to buy some herbs so I could start my herb garden because I wanted to have some fresh herbs that I could use in my cooking. So we bought one pot for each kind of herbs such as thyme, sage, lavender, mint, sweet marjoram, sweet basil, parsley, oregano, rosemary, fennel, lemon balm, onion leeks or what we call spring onions and pandan.  When we got home, I re-planted them in one of the garden beds and then watered them.

The herbs grew well in the garden bed. My husband bought some name plate and wrote the herbs name on each of them and covered these with plastic then he stuck these to the ground to identify each plant. He made a really good job and it was a pretty sight to see that anyone who comes over for a visit always had something nice to say about our small garden. Then one day, we had a really bad storm and it wiped everything away in the garden. It just kept on raining for days that it saturated the garden beds and caused the herbs to rot. So we decided that the next time we plant some herbs, we will plant them in pots so we could move them around or bring them in under the awning to protect them from the rain.


No comments:

Post a Comment